Why sell purses / handbags online?
The purse and handbag market has been steadily growing over the last several years and is estimated to continue growing into the next decade. In 2020, the market size value was estimated at 51.89 billion, and is expected to grow at 5.4% between 2019 to 2025. With the market expanding through independent and leading designers alike, the time to start selling purses and handbags online is now. It might seem a bit nerve-wracking to jump into an industry with so many established companies, but the size and diversity of the market leaves a lot of room for smaller brands to corner specific niches and aesthetics. The handbag industry also has a ton of room for expansion, from luxury purses to designer backpacks, there’s a lot of possibilities for crafting unique products for your brand.
How to make purses / handbags to sell
There are many different types of products on the market, from high-end purses to more casual handbags. If you’re developing your own from scratch, you’ll want to consider the identity you want your products to take, and find a niche that resonates with you the most. This will help you keep your enthusiasm for selling handbags or purses while building out your business and eventually marketing your brand.
If you’re in the early stages of exploring product design, think about the main function behind your product. If a purse is designed for a cosmopolitan fashionista, you may want to dip into the more high-end, luxurious side of the market. If you’re more of the sporty type, then maybe less expensive, more casual and practical bags might be up your alley. The types of products you choose to sell are very important in guiding how you find your audience and develop your product, so make sure to have a clear idea in mind when you start the designing process.
You’ll also want to keep your options open when selling handbags and purses so you can think about expanding into other territory when the business picks up. Where you choose to take your business is up to you, but it’s best to take it in a direction that will feel more natural for the following you’ve built. For example, if you decide to sell high-end purses to an older audience, it would make sense to consider moving into selling fashion accessories down the road. If your products are more on the sporty side, maybe activewear might compliment your products. You want to craft a brand identity that both works for the products you’re selling now and can work for products you choose to sell later on.
How to start a handbag business from home
Starting your dream business isn’t always a breeze, but with a little guidance from entrepreneurs, you’ll be able to kick-start your own business and start selling purses online.
Start your own business from home by taking these 3 first steps:
- Find what makes your product unique. You’ll want to explore the unique selling proposition (USP) for your products to help you build out your unique brand and see what makes your product stand out from others. Understanding your USP will help you learn more about the audience you’re selling to and help you find ways to market your products.
- Establish your materials. Purses come in various different shapes, sizes, and materials. Gather all the details required to build your initial prototypes to begin exploring pricing options for your purses. Keep in mind that the materials you choose impact your USP. Once you’ve decided on your materials, create samples of each final prototype to compare and test.
Collect your expenses to determine a price point. You’ll want to determine the cost and labor required to make each one of your products. This will help you analyze similar products within the market and help you decide on a reasonable pricing structure for each purse. Understanding costs and labor will also help you determine how many purses to make on a regular basis.
How to sell purses / handbags online
In order to start selling purses online, you’ll want to make sure your brand is established and ready for promotion. You will also want to begin exploring e-commerce platforms like Shopify where you can create your own online store.
Get your business ready to sell purses with the following five steps:
- Create a business name and logo for your website. Choose a business name and logo that represents your brand in the most unique way. Keep in mind that a good brand name is always easy to remember and speaks to the audience you’re trying to reach. If you need help creating a logo, check out Hatchful to build your own for free.
- Find a website theme that compliments your products. It’s important to choose a website theme that highlights the uniqueness of your products and lets you share your brand story. Explore free and paid Shopify themes to find the theme that’s right for your products.
- Source content for your website and social media channels. On brand imagery is essential for engaging new and existing audiences on your social media channels and for telling your brand story online. You can take pictures of your products yourself, hire a photographer, or use any of the photos in our downloadable starter kit above.
A marketing plan. If you’re just getting started, chances are you’re looking to keep costs low and make social media your primary marketing source. Keep in mind that purse and handbag brands tend to do better on visual mediums, such as Instagram and Pinterest. Instagram also tends to skew to a younger audience, so this is likely the best platform if your target audience is younger. Pinterest’s user-base tends to skew closer to middle-aged, so if you’re selling high-end luxury purses, this might be the best channel to grow your following. You can also increase sales or sell pre-sale by allowing your followers to purchase your products directly from their social media account. Shoppable Instagram Galleries can give you the option to tag products in your images and have the tags link directly back to your online store. You can also allow customers to purchase directly through Pinterest if you’ve set up a Shopify store.
How to wholesale purses / handbags
If you want to explore selling high-end purses or handbags made by established brands, you can explore wholesale opportunities to buy products in bulk and at a discounted rate. For example, Handshake allows you to wholesale purses and handbags. This way you can corner a specific niche and/or find additional products that appeal to your audience. You can start adding more products to your online store to add variety and generate a profit without having to create more products yourself.
How to dropship purses / handbags
Dropshipping products tends to be a bit more expensive than purchasing via wholesale and shipping them out yourself. However, due to the fact that an item is only bought after it's been purchased, you're a lot less likely to have overstock and a lot more likely to turn a profit in the long run. Companies can provide purses and handbags to dropship, meaning that products are shipped directly from the manufacturer to your buyers when a product is purchased. This resource is a great option for entrepreneurs to explore as it removes the responsibility of designing custom purses/handbags, manufacturing them, and then shipping final products. With this system in place, you won’t need to worry about storing inventory or shipping items out of your home either. This frees up more time for you to focus on other areas of your business, such as marketing, instead of creating a product from scratch.
Can I sell purses/handbags on Shopify?
What do you need to start a purse business?
How do I start selling purses online?
How much should I sell my purses/handbags for?
1. Explore your market to see what competitors sell their products for on average
2. Gather all costs associated with making and selling your products to calculate profit margins
3. Perform an analysis to determine how many purses you need to sell in order to generate a profit after expenses, short term and long term. Use this information to help you assess and/or reassess your pricing structure.
4. If you’re looking to test the market before investing, explore options through wholesale and dropshippers.
How much does it cost to start a purse/handbag business?
1. Shopify Lite: $9.00 USD/month
2. Basic Shopify: $29.00 USD/month
3. Shopify: $79.00 USD/month
4. Advanced Shopify: $299.00 USD/month
5. Shopify Plus: starts at $2,000.00/month
Can you design your own purses?
How do you promote purses and handbags?
Is selling purses and handbags profitable?
If you decide to dropship through AliExpress, here are a few tips to set yourself up for success.
Your download is starting now…
Get first access to free photos and other Burst content. Unsubscribe anytime.
Get first access to free photos and other Burst content. Unsubscribe anytime.